By | 2017-10-06T17:01:36+00:00 December 23rd, 2015|Connecticut news, News, Train Campaign|6 Comments

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!

About the Author:

6 Comments

1. maplesugarkat December 21, 2016 at 4:25 pm - Reply

I think a cost-benefit analysis of this proposed line shows that it does not really serve ANY interest to build, since you need a car as soon as you get off the train. You cannot get to much of anything in either Berkshire or Litchfield County. Meanwhile Metro-North runs a line less than 20 miles west of Housatonic RR, which you can use to access a car-free experience. This passenger service would ruin view of Housatonic River and hurt animal access to river. It is masquerading as a green project, when it is just a boondoggle with incredibly low use potential. Sad that people are not more thoughtful about this, in a time when we do need access to transit alternatives. This proposal is not one that is good.

2. Stephen Bennett December 23, 2015 at 1:12 pm - Reply

As one who has proposed and sold systems to municipalities for mass transit services, I have some knowledge of municipal agencies look for. There is a cost vs benefit proposal that must be made to get the financial support. Somewhere in a prior comment I made, I mentioned that there is an imbalance in “interest” that I saw with this project. For example, why would NY State be interested in further subsidizing Metro North to provide these additional services when the benefit is clearly to Mass. The same point is what the CT Governor is making regarding his state’s funding. I don’t think what he is expressing is wrong and should not be viewed as a state vs state issue. If Mass is to receive the benefit, Mass should be prepared to fund it, disproportionately as it may be.

• Karen Christensen May 5, 2016 at 8:48 am - Reply

I haven’t figured out why there’s an assumption that it’s MA only that benefits. There are benefits to Metro-North, in fact, and very much to CT towns and to companies located there, who depend on rail service that now runs on 100-year-old tracks. Our challenge is to make this clear in all our outreach, and then to weigh benefits so that there is proportional investment. Thanks for your comments.

• Fred M. Cain September 12, 2017 at 6:45 pm - Reply

Karen,

I agree. I think the State of Connecticut would benefit as much or more than Mass. Back in the old New Haven Railroad days, many students were carried to and from Kent. The other towns along the line in both CT an Mass would also benefit. In my own personal, honest, humble opinion, this is a project that should be spearheaded to move forward. Why “study” this for another 25 or 30 years? My suggestion would be to get all the i’s dotted and t’s crossed so that when and if there ever really is an “infrastructure” bill coming out of Washington, this could be piggybacked onto that.

One question I have had for a long time, however, I am not sure about the wisdom of sending the south end of the line west from Danbury over the presently moribund Maybrook Freight line. Wouldn’t it make about as much sense to just send the trains on south to South Norwalk then over to Grand Central via Stamford?

Regards,
        Fred M. Cain

• barringtoninst September 13, 2017 at 10:34 am - Reply

Fred, good to hear from you. I will check about the line – I don’t think it’s the Maybrook line, but could be wrong. More soon and all best, Karen.

• Fred M. Cain September 13, 2017 at 11:30 am

Karen,

The “Maybrook” line was so called because back in the old New Haven Railroad days it ran all the way west to Maybrook, NY where it connected with some other railroads, notably the Erie, that ran on to Chicago. The Penn Central was forced to take over the New Haven in 1969 and they decided they didn’t want to keep the Maybrook line after there was a fire on the Poughkeepsie bridge in 1974. Most of the line is now moribund or sees little activity. Also, west of Hopewell, Jct, the tracks have been removed from there west, over the bridge and on to Maybrook. There is also a moribund branch line that connects Hopewell Jct and Beacon, NY.

If my memory serves me correctly, Metro North bought the Beacon-Hopewell-Southeast-Danbury-Devon segment a number of years ago. Their plan, I think, was to rebuild the line and offer an outer ring suburban commuter rail service between Beacon, NY and New Haven, CT. However, for reasons unclear to me this has never come to pass and has been pushed so far back onto the back burner that is may well be dead.

If the “Train Campaign” succeeds, the Danbury-Southeast section of the old Maybrook line will need to be rebuilt. To me, the most ideal arrangement would be to offer service from Pittsfield to Grand Central via “Southeast” and White Plains AND via Norwalk and Stamford, CT. Unfortunately, that might be too much to hope for,

Regards,